Blackberry Lime (or Orange) Cream Puffs
These are definitely NOT low-Carb, but a new fun creation that is super tasty!
There are 3 sections to this recipe. 1) Lime Curd 2) Blackberry Compote 3) Blackberry Lime Cream Puffs.
2 Tablespoons Lime zest (2 large limes)
6 Tablespoons (or 3/8 Cup) Fresh Lime juice. That is about how much juice you can squeeze out of your 2 limes.
1/3 Cup Sugar (white)
4 Large Egg Yolks
5 Tablespoons Unsalted butter, diced
1. In a small saucepan, set over medium heat, combine lime juice, sugar, yolks and butter. Constantly whisking, bring to a boil until thickened.
2. Transfer lime curd to a bowl and stir in 2 Tablespoons lime zest. Cover and place in fridge until cooled. *You can leave it in the fridge overnight if you want to make these in steps.
8 oz Blackberries
1 Tablespoon sugar (white)
1/2 Tablespoon Water
1. In a small saucepan, combine ingredients for blackberry compote over medium high heat. Cook for 4 minutes or until berries start to burst and become juicy.
2. Remove from heat and place into fine mesh strainer. Run the compote through the strainer and reserve the liquid. Should yield about 1/4 Cup of sauce.
Blackberry Lime Cream Puffs
1 pkg Puff Pastry sheets, thawed (you can use the shells, but the sheets are perfect for these).
1 Tablespoon Flour
1/2 Cup Unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
2 oz. Cream Cheese, softened
1/4 Cup Lime Curd (homemade or store bought). If you make the lime curd as instructed above it yields about 1/4 Cup.
1/4 Cup Blackberry Compote
1 teaspoon Vanilla bean past or vanilla extract
2 1/2 - 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
1. Heat oven to 375*. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. I use silicon baking mats.
2. Unroll 1 Puff Pastry sheet into large square onto floured surface.
3. Using a 2 1/2" biscuit cutter (or small glass), cut as many circles as you can. I was able to get about 16.
4. You can roll left-over dough to make more circles, but they won't puff up like the others.
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Blackberry Lime Buttercream
1. In the bowl of your stand mixer, add butter and beat 2-3 minutes, until fluffy.
2. Add cream cheese, lime curd, vanilla, and 1/4 cup blackberry compote.
3. Slowly add powdered sugar into the mixer, 1/2 cup at a time, until desired consistency is reached. *I used all 3 cups of powdered sugar for thicker consistency.
4. Beat until combined, and increase speed for 2 -3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
5. Use piping bag and a long pointed tip to squeeze filling into each puff. Poke a hole in the pastry with the tip of the piping bag and squeeze filling in until it reaches the hole.
6. Store in fridge or freezer to stiffen the filling.
You can substitute Orange or lemon for the lime for different flavors. For the puffs you made out of the extra dough, you can cut a slice in the puff with a knife so you can squeeze filling into it.