This recipe is a little more complicated, but I have always wanted to make this. So, I found a recipe for the smoker and tried it. I wasn't as hard as I thought, but there are a lot of steps. Now that it is starting to warm up you will probably see a lot of recipes for the smoker as that has become my new favorite way to cook.
Turkey blend pellets (for the smoker). Any pellets can be used. It's your choice.
4 Boneless skinless Chicken Breasts (4 - 5 oz each)
8 slices Prosciutto/Ham
8 slices Swiss Cheese
1/3 Cup Flour
Salt & Pepper
1 Cup Dry breadcrumbs
1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
2 tsp Thyme
1. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Butterfly each chicken breast & place between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Evenly pound with flat side of meat mallet, being careful not to tear the chicken, until the chicken is 1/4 inch thick.
3. Lay each chicken breast on a fresh piece of plastic wrap. Season with salt and lay 1 - 2 slices of cheese on each breast followed by prosciutto/ham and more cheese.
4. Roll chicken breast up like you would roll a burrito. Using the bottom piece of plastic wrap as an aid, fold the bottom up about an inch, then fold in sides. Roll tightly.
5. Wrap in plastic wrap & tightly twist the ends to shape & compress chicken. Repeat with all chicken breasts. Chill in fridge at least 60 minutes (or overnight).
6. Prepare your shallow dishes while chicken chills
- Dish 1: Season flour with sale & pepper and put in a shallow dish.
- Dish 2: Combine breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese and thyme. Season with salt & pepper and put in a second shallow dish.
- Dish 3: Whisk eggs and put in a third shallow dish
Arrange shallow dishes as follows:
7. Remove plastic wrap from chicken. Coat each lightly with flour then dip in egg. Finally, roll in breadcrumbs, patting them onto the chicken to make them adhere. Arrange on a baking sheet.
8. When ready to cook, set smoker temperature to 375*, lid closed for 15 minutes.
9. Place the baking sheet with chicken on the smoker. Bake 30 - 40 minutes, or until the coating is golden brown and chicken is cooked through.
10. Serve whole or slice crosswise into pinwheels.