We discovered strawberry curd and thought up this lovely dessert idea. Curd filled Angel Food Cupcakes!
There are 3 different recipes for this creation...the cupcakes, filling(curd) and frosting. I recommend making the curd first - even the day before making the cupcakes and frosting.
Angel Food Cupcakes - Ingredients:
1 box Angel Food cake mix and ingredients needed to make according to instructions on the box.
Directions: Make cake batter as directed on the box. The batter should be super light and fluffy. Put cupcake wrappers in each spot of a muffin tin. Use a large cookie scoop to fill each spot with angel food cake batter. 1 scoop per slot.
Bake as directed on the box (for cake). Let cupcakes cool completely once out of the oven.
Strawberry Curd - Ingredients:
1 lb. Strawberries
1/4 Cup unsalted Butter
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
1 Tablespoon Lemon juice
4 Egg Yolks
1 small pkg Gelatin (unflavored)
1. Puree strawberries (use whole juice button if using a Blentec). Over a bowl or large glass measuring cup, pour puree through a fine mesh strainer. Use a spatula to remove seeds and get all the strawberry puree in the bowl.
2. In a small saucepan set over medium heat, melt butter. Remove pan from heat. Whish in sugar, cornstarch, gelatin, strawberry puree & lemon juice. Whisk in egg yolks one at a time until fully combined. Return mixture to heat. Continue whisking over the heat until thickened. Remove from heat.
3. Transfer curd to desired storage container. Cover and cook in fridge for a few hours or overnight.
Strawberry Curd Frosting - Ingredients:
1 stick Butter
1 (8 oz) pkg Cream Cheese
1/2 Cup Strawberry Curd (after completely cooled)
1 pkg Powdered Sugar (approximately 6 Cups)
1. Soften butter & cream cheese.
2. Whip until fluffy
3. Add curd and powdered sugar (about 1 - 2 cups at a time)
4. Keep adding powdered sugar a little at a time until frosting is to desired consistency.
Ready to assemble the cupcakes? Once you have made all three recipes you are ready to put them all together for one delicious dessert.
1. Use a sharp knife to cut a cone shape in each cupcake, making a pocket for the curd.
2. Fill a cupcake injector with strawberry curd and squeeze curd into each cupcake, filling in the hole you made.
3. Put in the fridge for about 1 - 2 hours once all the cupcakes have curd in them. This will allow the curd to set a little more before finishing.
4. Change the tip on the cupcake injector to use for frosting the cupcakes. Fill the injector with frosting this time to top each cupcake.